Friday, July 1, 2011

June 29 - setting up the trellis system for the tomatoes


 Have no idea why I couldn't get pictures working yesterday!  Hanson uses a totally cool trellis system for the tomatoes.  Posts are put in place at about 4 places on the row.  A thin wire is threaded through each post.  This is Hanson working with the wire on post 1.


 On each wire, there are two "stretchers" which initially are fully opened.  As the plants grow, the stretchers can be tightened to make the wire taut.
 Each tomato plant then has two strings tied to it, threaded up the strongest part of the plant and attached to the wire with three knots. 
This is a partially trellised row of tomato plants.  Have i mentioned there are 200 tomato plants?!  I was able to tie one-half of a row in 50 minutes.  I'll more than likely be here all summer tying!  Actually, I have to say I like tying and watering.  Not a real fan of planting but luckily others are good at it.

No comments:

Post a Comment